What is Translational Science?
The National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences at the NIH defines translation as “The process of turning observations in the laboratory, clinic and community into interventions that improve the health of individuals and the public – from diagnostics and therapeutics to medical procedures and behavioral changes.” Translational Science is defined as “The field of investigation focused on understanding the scientific and operational principles underlying each step of the translational process”. (U.S. Department of health & Human Services. NIH. National Center for Advancing Translational Sciences. Translational Science Spectrum. Retrieved from: https://ncats.nih.gov/translation/spectrum, last accessed April 2019.)
Identify the challenges and support solutions for the process of moving evidence from basic discovery to point of care.
Who Should Join?
- Nurse scientists who are affiliated with Clinical Translation Science Award (CTSA) activities in the Midwest;
- Nurse scientists engaged in translational research who want to network, collaborate and discuss approaches to advance clinical translation science
Groupsite Community Networking Platform: https://mnrs.groupsite.com/
Meet the RIG Leadership
Julie Weldon, MSN, RN
Kasey Boehmer, M.P.H., PH.D.
Sabina Kupershmidt, Ph.D, BS
Mary Beth Happ, PhD, RN, FAAN
2020-2021 RIG Awards
The Translational Nursing Science RIG has not issued any calls for RIG Awards in 2020-2021.
Please contact the RIG Chair with questions.
- Maintain newsletter and other activities identified during the 2019 RIG needs assessment
- Conduct planning for guaranteed symposium at the 2020 MNRS meeting
Overall/Long Term Goals
- Maintain or increase RIG membership particularly among smaller, less research-intensive institutions
- Increase engagement in collaborative translational science activities across member organizations
Holli Devon, Ph.D., University of Illinois at Chicago, College of Nursing and Kristina Dreifuerst, Ph.D., Marquette University College of Nursing were the 2017 recipients of the Nurses in Translational Science Outstanding Researcher Award!
RIG Minutes/Meeting Summary
If you are interested in learning more about the Translational Science RIG, please explore the minutes from the past meetings:
Translational Science RIG minutes from the 2018 Annual Research Conference.
Translational Science RIG minutes from the 2017 Annual Research Conference.
Translational Science RIG minutes from the 2016 Annual Research Conference.